::pack:: of fixations



life after tragedy. living while grieving. love and triplets.

5.05.2013

Change is good

So we've never moved before.  This was our first time in almost 13 years of marriage.  I'd always go through off and on spurts about how WE NEEDED TO MOVE!  But then I'd get settled back in to our old house and the thought would escape me.  We've even thought things such as we will never move or let's pay this house off and move close to the beach.  But over the last 4-5 years my determination to move didn't waver and finally Ryan caught the bug.  

We handed over the keys to our old house a few days ago and Finn and I were the last ones inside to say goodbye.  I cried.  I only cried because that is Colum's house.  But then we had to drive up to our new house to do the final walk through.  And quickly my frown was turned upside down. I love it.  It needs a lot of work.  There's a lot of ivy and wallpaper border displaying fruit baskets.  It's a very modern home but I think the previous owners were trying to turn it into a Tuscan villa.  Luckily it doesn't need anywhere near as much work as our old house did despite almost matching wallpaper border.  But hey, if fruit baskets and ivy are your thing good for you.  I'm sure they will be huge again anyways & I will be kicking myself.

I'm so excited!  We feel like it's a real grown-up house and we are finally, actually gonna be grown-ups, not just pretending to be.  It has so many things my old house didn't, such as:

Bathroom fans (no more mold on the ceilings)
A sprinkler system (what's that?)
A kitchen disposal (our old plumbing ran uphill so we couldn't put one in blah blah)
A walk-in closet (holy moly)
A master bath (what am I gonna do with myself?)
A 2nd bathroom (This will come in handy)
A fully fenced backyard (I can just open the door and the kids can play while I cook dinner)
A 2 car garage that I can actually park my car in!

We went back the next day to get the keys.  We were marveling in our new quiet and private backyard when our white haired neighbor popped his head up and smiled.  Are you our new neighbors he asked, I'll be right over.  He and his wife are grandparents and had 3 of their grandkids over for a sleepover that night.  They were oh so friendly and kindly welcomed us to the neighborhood.  This is a very far cry from our old neighborhood (except a couple of you) and I can't even begin to tell you how refreshing it is.  They told us how wonderful all the neighbors are, how they do neighborhood BBQ's and get togethers.  Their eyes were kind and they'd heard I was pregnant with triplets and graciously offered their help.  

We drove up a friend the next day and met 2 other neighbors who were also very kind and welcoming.  The neighborhood feels like it has a sense of community and everyone helps each other out.  There is a little boy named Flynn who is exactly a year older than Finn that quickly got word about us and came over to meet him.  

It's exactly what I wanted and better than I ever could have dreamed.  We are sad to be leaving so many friends but hoping they will stop by on their way to go skiing a lot.  Maybe, I can even persuade them to follow suit (wink).  

We are staying at my Mother In-Law's while we fix up a few things in the next few weeks before we actually move in.  I'm dreading all the unpacking but I'm excited to go through stuff and probably have a yard sale afterwards.  And then it will be time to get the nursery ready!  I want to start sooner than later since these babies could come very early.

I haven't had time with all the moving to check the sexes again but when I do, a friend and I are going to put a little something together to announce it here on the blog.  xoxo





23 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your big girl house. In time it will feel like home and soon it will overfloweth with love. Everytime I walk past the baby stuff in stores I think of you. I can't wait to send three little somethings. Take care and hold your family close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting! Thank you for being an example to me. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you Kelly!!! We need to have an online baby shower for you!! I don't know if anyone else would like to participate but I sure would! Your going to need lots of stuff!!!Love from Colorado!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you get settled in, I want to see your house. So excited for you! So happy Finn has a little friend. Cannot wait to hear what the babies are!!! And fenced in back yards are a must, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish your posts had a "like" button! I'm very happy for you! I love moving, and have done it every five years like clock-work since we got married, but my husband says, "No more!" and so I am stuck here forever! If I had known that, I would have picked a different house! lol
    Can't wait to find out the sex of your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CoNgR@TsS!!!! I am HaPpY to hear you & your family will be surrounded by kind people... Also, I am in with online shower idea I cannot help w much but hey I'll love to send your way at least a box of diapers in $$$ to help with the triplets

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, this post makes me happy! So glad you have great neighbors and a boy Finn's age!! I want to come see it when you're ready for visitors! And please, let us throw you a baby shower! I'll plan whatever you want to do! I mean it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me so happy for you and your family! Kind neighbors are the best, and grandparents that can help you when the babies get here -- awesome!!! Congratulations!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for your happy change. How exciting. I hope that the move goes smoothly with the things you want to fix up before you officially unpack. So excited Finn will have a friend close by. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh... this post made me dizzy with delight. I love the part about the ivy wallpaper and border! Our first home was papered the same way- from top to bottom. It was such a fun transformation. And I hung on every word as you described the yard and neighbors and all the good things that are yet to come for you and your family. We've been living out of suitcases for 6 weeks here in Tokyo and are FINALLY moving into our new home this Saturday. I'll be thinking of you as we settle into our new nest and new adventure. *Here's to nesting* Cheers and love from Japan. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like the perfect place to raise children! I'm so happy for the three (+three) of you. I think I want to move there myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so happy for you and your new house and it sounds like a wonderful neighborhood. It will seem like home when you get your own stuff put in the right places. AND....there will lots of room for all your children!! How fun to have such kind nice neighbors right from the getgo!! I know the feeling when you leave a home that holds so many precious memories but congrats on your new "digs" and may many happy new memories be forged and happiness abound!! Colum's memories from your old home will go with you to this new home. The love never ends....it doesn't matter where you live, his love and memories will always be there close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO EXCITING! I'm glad you guys are another step closer to getting settled in. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. how on earth did I miss this big announcement that you guys are having triplets???? How wonderfully exciting!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to hear the gender of your sweet beauties! Congrats on the new house and a "new start". You deserve SO much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where at are you moving to in Salt lake!? Thats so awesome. I lived in Sandy until recently and I always loved it there. I live in Herriman now and love it just as much but being by the mountains is so fun and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so excited for you guys to make a new start! Colum is still with you all! I can't wait to hear what the sex is of all 3 little ones. I hope you're feeling great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very, very happy for you all! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exciting!Make sure to take good before and after pictures of all of your home improvements,something I wish I would have been better about doing. So happy things are going well for you and your family:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. If anyone needs a walk in closet, it's you. I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kelly - I'm so happy for your family - what an exciting change for you. I'm super glad to hear the neighborhood is treating you well too - especially after I saw on FB that you're location changed to Cottonwood Heights. I know some families over there - and it's kinda an 'old wealth' type neighborhood. Everybody knows everybody and I was a little worried about you moving there - so I'm super glad it's been good so far!! I can't wait to continue following how things are progressing with those babies. I think about you almost every day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those sound like some awesome neighbors! (I'm embarrassed but I've been stalking your blog to find out what these sweet little babies are! I'm pregnant too so I hope that justifies the stalking!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cannot wait for the gender reveal!!!

    ReplyDelete