::pack:: of fixations



life after tragedy. living while grieving. love and triplets.

3.18.2013

New beginnings

If all goes well the word SOLD will be placed diagonally across our For Sale sign come the middle of April.  Our house went under contract to sell 5 days after we listed it!  We've looked and looked for the perfect new home for us.  I'm sure most people haven't peeked at my earlier days of blogging BC (before crash), but I'm sorta a MCM (Mid-century Modern) enthusiast pre-Mad Men.  I love it.  It's by far my favorite type of architecture.  We looked at a total of 9 houses.  We put an offer on a Mid-Century ranch but didn't get it for whatever reason.  It didn't feel completely right anyways.  But it was completely remodeled tastefully, which I found to be a rare case in our tight budget.  Ryan later told me he was surprised I even went for it, since it was a ranch style home with stairs.  We ended up putting in an offer on the first house we looked at.  Have you ever noticed when shopping around for something you almost always end up going to the first place you looked?  It was designed by an architect named Ron Molen.  Love his work!  We actually fell in love with another design of his 6 months ago but weren't quite ready to sell this house and it slipped through our fingers.  That house had a lot of the original elements that I long for.  It also had an atrium in the center of the home also a fireplace with a conversation pit (swoon).  I imagined if Colum was still here I could throw him in the atrium to dig holes & get dirty while I made dinner.  And throwing a skeleton in there every Halloween, a Christmas tree every Christmas.  But it was on a busy road and it wasn't meant to be our house.  

It's a MCM house!  But it needs a complete remodel.  Its a single level home which is going to be great for our knees.  It came under budget so hopefully we can just remodel most of it prior to moving in.  I feel like I'm living in my very own fantasy in doing so.  I've always wanted a house just like the one we are moving into.  I'm excited about something again.  I'm passionately fixated about what I used to love (and still do) BC.  The old flame has been re-lit, and all the MCM decor and housewares I've been hoarding in my basement for years will get a thorough dusting and can finally be put to use.  Ron Molen designed most of the houses in the neighborhood which will be great eye candy for years to come.  The area is beautiful, surrounded by mountains and there are a lot of new restaurants to try.  The schools are good and the change will be refreshing.  

The more I think about it the more I'm certain we will just take all of our memories of sweet Colum along with us.  It's painful.  It still stings.  We all miss him so painfully bad.  But we carry him wherever we go in our hearts.  I'm starting to understand what 'he's always with you' actually entails.  Most of the time when we talk about him it's usually while riding in the car, playing precious memories like a movie in our heads.  I hope moving helps loosen the locks of my chains some more and being free of this house helps me feel less trapped.  

17 comments:

  1. I hope everything works out! Excited to see pix of the new house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for your family! A new house will be such a fun adventure for you guys. A new project and new excitement. I hope everything goes really smooth. Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you and your family. Hurray! I am beyond jealous about the MCM home and can't wait to see what you do with it. Your taste is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'm a little confused. Your offer wasn't accepted on the two-story house you saw, completely remodeled, but you ARE getting the single story that requires a complete overhaul? It will be a fun challenge for you to make it your own, and not accept someone else's taste and design.

    This is an exciting new adventure for you! I think it's healthy for you to move to a new place. I hadn't realized that the old house made you feel trapped. Of course Colum will be with you wherever you go. Your entire family will be central to your new home. So happy that you will be making new dreams come true in a new environment. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your move, I am happy for all of you, especially if it will help in your healing process. I have to admit however, that I'm a little sad you're moving. You see, I've been following your story from day one and read your blog regularly. (I've never posted though!) I know this is going to sound stalkerish, but I pass your house everyday, and I always look toward it to make sure things look okay and to send good vibes your way. Sorry if that sounds weird and doesn't it sound so cliche to say I feel as if I know you! You all have been through so very much, unimagineable pain and suffering.Please know that you guys really do deserve all the best that life has to offer. Best of luck to you and your family in your new "dream home". I'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I'll be sad you won't live close to us anymore, I am so happy for you. So happy that you are happy and excited about your future. I am sure it will be hard to say goodbye to your house now, but you are so right - Colum will always be with you no matter where you live. A fresh start will be good. Can't wait to see how you remodel it. I love remodel jobs. I love seeing the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! Can't wait for you to be closer! Let me know if you need any free labor - I'm willing to roll on some paint, swing a hammer, or whatever you need!

    Yesterday I was thinking about you guys (as I often do!) and about the 5k. I'm excited to spend the day with Colum on his birthday!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your taste! About 6 years ago, my husband and I bought a 1950's ranch and remodeled it to be MCM and we couldn't be happier. I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you and one level living!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I can't wait to hear about all you will do to the new house! I have lost my house/decorating/etc mojo after Jack's accident. I'm hoping that when we move, some of that will come back. And of course precious Jack and Colum will go wherever we go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very exciting!! How fun to be able to remodel to your specifications and best of all BEFORE you move in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited for you guys. You deserve this happiness. The house is beautiful, can't wait to see inside of it. Please let me know if you need any help moving or packing. Can't wait for you to be closer as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. tracy.rose@healthline.comMarch 27, 2013 at 5:10 AM

    Hi,

    Healthline is interested in contributing a guest post to packoffixations.blogspot.com. We would be open to contributing any blog that would be of interest to your readers. Healthline bloggers have been featured on a variety of sites including:

    Washington Times: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/tango-mind-and-emotion/2012/aug/10/how-healthy-choices-easy/
    Natural News: http://www.naturalnews.com/036515_diabetes_strawberries_prevention.html
    Patch.com: http://strongsville.patch.com/blog_posts/where-and-what-to-eat-in-cleveland-to-beat-the-winter-blues

    Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

    Warm Regards,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awesome. Super excited for you and a fresh start.
    You all deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super exciting!! If you guys need help moving, please let us know and we will help!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your house going under the contract to sell just 5 days after listing it is great news. Soon you will be leaving your old house and will be settling into the new one. And I would like to say that I like your style in choosing the house. I'm curious too see pictures of how you are going to remodel it and I hope things work out well.
    Genny Stutesman

    ReplyDelete