::pack:: of fixations



life after tragedy. living while grieving. love and triplets.

8.29.2012

Cleanse update etc etc

On my 2nd visit to my new Doctor that I recently found, love, and am so grateful for there was a cookbook in the room I was lead to.  I only had a minute or two to look through it before the Doctor walked in and I knew I had to have one.  First, I love to cook and love a good cookbook even though the going grocery shopping, cooking, and cleaning is now too tiring and basically never happens anymore.  But, it's more than a cookbook, it's chuck full of useful info.  Real information that can really help with a lot of ailments.  Information on what causes the ailments and how you can treat them through food.  It's written by a local woman who was a Mother of 4 (went on to have 5 more(wowza)) and found her health declining.  After each pregnancy her symptoms worsened.  She had chronic headaches, lack of energy, aching pains, abdominal/digestive complaints, emotional stress, and frequently just felt "blah".  

She began searching.  Had exams, blood work, procedures, etc.  She writes, "I acquired several labels for my worsening symptoms: colitis, spastic colon, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic fatigue immune deficiency syndrome and finally, fibromyalgia."  She goes on to explain that the cause of her symptoms were from A LEAKY GUT.  She discovered her symptoms may be linked to an unhealthy gut infested with carb-loving yeasts.  She writes, "As I began researching systemic yeast, I learned that many of the physical complaints we share as a culture and virtually all autoimmune diseases, share a common condition called Leaky Gut Syndrome.  Among these autoimmune diseases and inflammatory states are:  Alzheimers, Arthritis, ADD/Autism, Asthma, AIDS, Cancer, Chronic Fatigue, Crohn's disease, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Heart Disease, Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Osteoporosis, Schleroderma.  (there are many more)

Leaky Gut Syndrome is a condition where the intestines are more porous and permeable than normal, allowing partially digested food particles to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream.  These particles trigger a series of inflammatory responses from the immune system that can affect any of the body's systems, including the brain.  By healing the cause of the leaky gut and healing the gut itself, these same foods, in their whole and natural state, can be tolerated once again.  And a life free from inflammation, discomfort, and "dis-ease" can be regained."

This is just some of the first page and I knew I had to buy this cookbook which is called, The Feel Good Cookbook, by Jonell West Francis (click here).  I've known about Candida for a very long time but had NO IDEA that it can effect so many things including your mental health, until about 2 years ago.  My old Dr explained this exact thing to me.  He told me to get off Lexapro and how it works on your brain, but the real problem is in your guts.  He had me start taking:

5-HTP: 100mg PM during the 1st week and 200mg PM every night after that.  This helped me feel slightly more calm and I noticed a difference right away.  5-HTP is a drug free, plant derived source of an amino acid that naturally increases the body's level of serotonin, the chemical messenger that affects emotions, behavior, appetite, thought, and sleep.  You can buy it at natural food stores, grocery stores, or Costco, that's where I've found it to be the cheapest.  

Probiotic:  Get a good, high quality one especially in the beginning.  If you've ever been on 1 round of antibiotics you probably have an overgrowth of yeast in your body.  This alone won't heal your gut.  But will help replenish the good bacteria back in.

L-Glutamine or Glutamine powder: 1-3 tsp daily.  This is mentioned in the cookbook also.    this amino acid works to repair the damaged and inflamed enteric epithelial lining of the bowel. This supplement reduces recovery time significantly, restoring ‘health to the navel’ in as little as half the time the body would otherwise require. Glutamine also regulates multiple metabolic processes at the cellular level and is considered a conditionally essential amino acid when the body is in a state of stress or infection.  ...my Dr told me this is good to take everyday and she herself plans on taking it daily for the rest of her life.  The author of the cookbook sells this on her site, or you can buy it at a healthfood store etc.

Back to the cookbook.  First, it's full of really good recipes with real ingredients and real food that isn't expensive.  She has a recipe for a gluten free all purpose flour mix (that I've used and loved so far and it wasn't expensive!).  There is a lot of information about eating dairy-free, sugar-free, and gluten-free.  I really appreciate all of her research and personally find it to be helpful and true.  I think there are so many diets, health books, health theories etc and it's so hard to determine what works for everybody.  But I can personally detest that if your guts ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.  Digestive health is everything to your body.  What you put into it is a lot, but your digestion needs to be optimal.  

Recently Ryan and I did the Yeast Beaters cleanse.  You buy the capsules through her website and they are only about $25 and 1 bottle was enough for both of us.  I've done many-a-cleanses in my day and this one was by far the hardest but in a different way.  She does explain that you may have discomfort during the cleanse.  Also, we, especially I am probably very ..."yeasty" (ooooooh) considering all the antibiotics I was on in and after the hospital.  I just cringe thinking about it.  While I was in the hospital I knew I'd have to whip out the ol' Glutamine etc cause I knew I'd have some crazies coming my way.  We tried to be extra tough during it but we felt nasty!  You build yourself up to 3 capsules AM & PM/day and cut back if you feel too uncomfortable and then build yourself back up again.  I was constantly nauseous, some days my whole body itched uncontrollably (yup if your legs constantly itch that's your yeast ooh, I know), dizzy, headaches, and irritable.  I couldn't wait for those 2 weeks to be over.  I didn't feel miraculous the 1st day I was done but I realized I wasn't being really consistent with the Glutamine and Probiotics and as soon as I started and taking maximum dozes I started changing.  Things are feeling brighter, I haven't cried as much, heartburn/indigestion gone, and my stress levels are beginning to improve.  

Considering the extreme amount of antibiotics that probably caused a ton of yeast flowing through my body giving my gut a leaking syndrome... I think it's safe to say I'm gonna do a couple more rounds.  I know that if I stay consistent I will start to improve even more.  

I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees about a month ago.  I heard whisperings of me getting arthritis in the future here and there and I expected it.  I just didn't expect it 6 months post-accident, more like 10 years.  It's very painful.  I think I have it in my ankles as well.  This is one of the things that has been really hard for me.  When I tried running it hurt my knees really bad.  My Dr's and PT's want me to do low-impact exercises now.  The bike and elliptical machine just don't give me that feel good runner's high.  I know running would really help me with so many things right now.  I miss it.  I miss Colum.  I miss being pain-free.  I know running could possibly make my arthritis worsen.  When we take Finn to the pool I can point out all the Mom's that run just by looking at their legs.  I miss my old legs.  I watch blonde blue eyed babies splash and play in the water.  Colum loved the water.  Finn's swimming has improved so much and we've been going frequently and I kick my legs and run around in the pool for some low-impact exercise.  Heck, I may join the Seniors in some water aerobics every morning pretty soon.  I miss my feet pounding the pavement and focusing on my breathing during my high impact workouts.  I can't imagine never doing it again.  I think I'm going to try cortisone shots and am praying that it helps.  Maybe if I can rid my body of all this yeast... maybe.



22 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    I am so glad to hear that with a change in diet and a cleanse you are starting to feel a little better.
    I am also so sorry about the arthritis thing. I used to be a runner, back when I was in the Army before I hurt my arm. I used to run at the very least 3 miles a day which was just a warm up but felt so good. Now once I reach about a mile my arm hurts so bad I want to take a machete and chop it off. I have even tried putting it in a sling so that it doesn't get jostled around so much so that I can run, to no avail. The pounds have added up and I do understand the whole missing the runner's high and how the elliptical and bike just don't cut it.
    I so hope that you are able to find a way to get back into running because it is such a release for those of us who are/were runners. Hopefully diet, cleanses, cortisone shots and the oils will all work together to get you to where you need/want to be. I wish I could offer up something that could help but nothing to date has helped me so I just keep on trying and plugging on, determination in and of itself is a very necessary part of our lives.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad the new diet/cleansing is going well too. I hope it continues to help you feel better. I am glad you posted that 5-HTP again. I forgot what it was called after you told me about it. We are big fans of probiotics in our house as well! They really work. And you need to let me pick up your groceries! I am already out and about. Let me help you! You should give swimming a try. I started swimming for a workout before our boys were born and I was shocked what a good workout it was for being so low impact. My heart would be pumping like crazy for almost 30-40 mins afterwards. Anyway, just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Ashleigh:) I've been swimming a lot lately! I also used to do alot in PT. I do love it! It's prob the next best thing. I actually feel like my legs are stronger after one time. I just really really loved running! And I really like to complain about how I might not be able to do it anymore ;) xoxo

      Delete
  3. I have followed your blog since I heard about your story. I have commented and sent you some messages as well. Your such an inspiration. This post really gets me thinking and wondering if I should try the things you list and wonder if all of those reasons are why I feel so BLAAH since having my last baby 4 years ago. I was SO SICK my entire pregnancy and was on TONS of antibiotics, I had a pick line and was in and out of the hospital and had home health care and everything. I was very sick and I even continuted to have problems after I had my baby. 4 years later I am saying I still don't feel myself. I feel crappy and tired and just blaaah all of the time. I have no energy at all. I have problems with my belly, bowels and stuff. I have always blamed it on getting my gallbladder out 6 months after having my baby. I have often wonderded if it was something else. I had so many atibiotics during and after my pregnancy that it is just crazy. I just recently went to my doctor 2 weeks ago and pretty much told him HELP ME I dont feel myself, I dont feel good and also cant sleep good. Al of my blood work cames back great, he also did an oxygen test at night just to make sure that I am getting enough oxygen while I sleep, that came back perfect as well. I just want to feel normal again and have more energy for my 3 kids. If you have any thoughts or advice on all of this, I would LOVE IT! This post really gets me thinking, a lot! Thanks for sharing your story and talking about all of the new great health things you are learning about. I know every day is so hard for you and always will be, you writing this blog is helping so many people and you are just an inspiration. Thanks! I would love to hear if you have any advice or thoughts on why I dont feel well and if you feel I should try the things you list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is exactly why you don't feel like 'yourself'. In med school Dr's are taught about prescribing meds and very by the book. The Dr I recently found is a normal Dr but thinks outside the box a little, which is why I was so happy to find her. I bought this book at a Dr's office, I was told about most of this from a Dr. It sounds different but once you heal your guts (which isn't that hard to do) you will feel better everywhere. At the very least get a probiotic and Glutamine powder. Double your intake of the probiotic and take the maximum does of glutamine for the first 2 weeks. I promise you will be blown away. Having problems with your bowels is a sure sign you have 'Leaky Gut Syndrome'. Your mind will become clearer, you will sleep better, you will have more energy etc. After awhile if you still feel like you could improve try the yeast cleanse. There are multiple testimonials from people listing how it has helped them in so many different ways.

      Delete
  4. That book sounds phenomenal! I totally believe it! And I know for sure that food can heal all illness! Food is medicine. Food is power. Real food, that is. It's so awesome you are determined to heal your body and soul. You are definitely on the right track. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad this is working for you!!! I need to do a lot of that also. My mom is really into this kind of stuff. I am really interested in the 5-HTP...especially if it will help me get off of anti-depressants. I've been thinking I need to do something different...you know before I strangle someone :) Also, I can get your groceries. I feel like I'm grocery shopping all of the time anyway :) And I just live down the street. Let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany, thanks for all your comments. And thanks for being a good neighbor. We need to meet up soon! And yes you should try it!

      Delete
  6. Where can you buy the 5-HTP, Probiotic & Glutamine? Would it be ok to email you? I have some more questions :) Whats your email if its ok? Thanks for responding to my comment above, I really want to try these things and see if it helps. Today has been an emotional day, lots of tears, cause I feel lost and just dont know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Packx4@yahoo (dot) com. Costco for 5-HTP is the cheapest and I've even seen it at my grocery store. Probiotics are everywhere now but the best is at a natural food store. And Glutamine online or a natural food store. I'm sorry you've had a bad day. Email me :)

      Delete
  7. I hate the term, leaky gut! Ha it sounds so sick. And yeasty. Buuuuut I'm sure I'm a sufferer as well. Imma get on it Kel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sent you an email. Packx4@yahoo.com right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds awesome! So did you do the whole treatment or just take the yeast beater capsules? I have some powdered glutamine already... Have you tried the childrens one on Finn? My kids both struggle with constipation and tummy troubles, I bet it would help them too! Thank you for the info Kel! I have so many of the symptoms that it looks like this may help! So YAY!! Hope you are doing all right! I think of you daily and always check in on you either here or on Facebook.
    Take care sweet pea!
    xoxox
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the first 3 things a few years ago to cure my Post Partum problems. I did the whole treatment recently, but we went camping and I wasn't consistent with the glutamine and probiotics. As soon as I started those and was consistent I felt a huge difference. I hope that makes sense.

      Delete
  10. I'm going to totally do this! I need to fix my guts , luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this is the kim I think it is then yes! I've wanted you to try this for a while. Oh, I hope it helps you!

      Delete
    2. Yes it's me KIMMIE! I hope it helps too, thankyou so much for passing along all this wonderful information!

      Delete
  11. Oh how I need a good doctor! May I ask who this great doctor is of yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Email me at packx4 at yahoo dot com.

      Delete
  12. The cookbook sounds very interesting, I hope it helps! That really sucks about the arthritis when you love to run. I'm going to look into the 5-htp for sure, I know it will help me in many ways.
    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad things are slightly improving.Your oils will help with leaky gut syndrome. Also instead of cortisone shots try your oils. I use winter green every night to keep my knees going. its amazing.cortisone is deadly and stay in your fat cells forever.Have you ever heard of foot bath detox(ioncleanse). I know this works at cleansing the body. wonderful for anyone who has been on heavy meds. as always you amaze me, and I wish you strength, courage, and much, much happiness. Hang on tight, your are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this concept probably sounds a little crazy to some people, but it totally makes sense if you don't feel well and have tried to get medical support for certain issues. I have been diagnosed with "gut" issues and if I don't eat carbs the symptoms go away...totally gone. It is soooo hard though. I never tell others why I try to go carb free, because I think I sound like a bit of an extremist, so people always assume it is a weight loss motive. With your post, you have really verified my thought process. I am going to look into this further. Thank you Kelly! You do not know me, but I adore you and connect with you at so many levels as I read your blog. I am sorry you are going through this, because one idiot recklessly cared less about consequences. You are strong and amazing and your strength is incredible. Thank you again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete