::pack:: of fixations



life after tragedy. living while grieving. love and triplets.

6.28.2011

pegboard fixation

The people, they call me crafty.  I get a lot of "you're so crafty".  I don't get it.  I don't scrapbook [I'm a closet scrabbook hater], I don't own craft supplies, and just recently found out what a cricut is.  I appreciate crafty people and the things they do.  But this thing I've got going right now is definitely sorta crafty.  Maybe it's my subconscious trying to fit the crafty bill.


I struggle with frames.  I don't find many I like or that I like enough to warrant a purchase.  Most are too ornate or country for me.  And the whole frame collage thing isn't for me.  I wanted something more industrial/modern to hang our pictures in.  I also, wanted to hang several because I can't pick just one. What would the people say? 


Hanging something on our walls is a HUGE commitment around here.  The Kid HATES putting any kind of holes in our walls.  Sometimes it takes 6-12 months to get him to do it [and the thing that he's supposed to hang just sits there so long I get used to it and forget to nag].  Oh, and he has to find a stud to hang it on... you can't just hang something by hammering in a nail supposedly.  I wonder what Martha Stewart would say?  Maybe, I will ask her cause I'm so crafty, and all us crafters run in a very tight circle.


Well I do love me some plexiglass remember this?  So I set out to make my own frames knowing I wanted to incorporate screws, plexiglass, and something else.  So, I went to Home Depot and walked around until I spotted something that suited my crafty self.  I live at Home Depot by the way.  I got a cousin that works there [who's like in his 50's or 60's and calls me Katie and refers to me as his niece].  I think that Home Depot should have a little apartment for me next to the restrooms because I live there. Or, maybe they could pay me to shop [Nordstrom's did]. And when I go it's usually for 2-10 different projects and I'm pretty sure some of the employees think I'm really dumb/weird [one in particular, I'm gonna have to start barking at him].  


The clouds parted and the angels started singing when I saw the pegboard.  I also bought some sort of wood for the back of our large family portrait. 


first line up the pictures and then mark where you are gonna drill the holes.  [if your not crafty you will learn to glue the pictures pretty fast, 'cause if you don't your kids will have to wear earmuffs so they don't hear all the bad words that make their way outta your mouth] [I'm crafty though so that wasn't a problem... [{chuckle}]




 Now I set out to do this meager project and planned on 1-2 hours.  I spent an ENTIRE day and it's still a work in progress.  The hardest part is drilling holes in the plexiglass [the Kid was at work and says "huh, I wonder why"].  It likes to break and crack while drilling, and let's just say I have a lot of plexiglass all over the house with broken corners.


But, the good news is that I bought all these really old letters for Park Silly and didn't know how the heck I was gonna hang them on something.  I didn't want to drill holes in most of them cause I love them and will probably re-use them in another future crafty project.  Well, you guessed it... pegboard was the answer. And of course I now want pegboard all over my house [but then we'd have to hang it].



No comments:

Post a Comment