::pack:: of fixations



life after tragedy. living while grieving. love and triplets.

2.11.2011

Do you believe in miracles?


Photo taken after getting rid of a lot of cleaners, post-miracle

I currently have an entire closet that stores all of our cleaning products. Some of them were on sale, others I saw the commercial & had to have it. Some are our staples such as Windex, & Liquid Plumber.



We've done a lot of remodeling on our little 1952 ranch-style house over the years. We completely gutted the kitchen about 3 years ago. We bought a stainless steel microwave & dishwasher, but decided to wait on buying the matching stove & fridge (ran out of cash-money), so they are still the ol' white ones. You know the little tray beneath the water/ice dispenser? Well it was a dark gray/brown color. The Kid (Ryan) & I have both probably put in 8 hrs each over the years scrubbing this thing w/numerous cleaning products that broke all of their promises of being the best, just to be placed back in 'the closet'. Until now...

I remember reading something about cleaning with vinegar throughout the years & I had an impulse to just poor vinegar in that d*#$ tray. I forgot about it for like 5 minutes, before I got a paper towel to soak up the vinegar off my gray/brown dispenser tray with little to no expectations. But to my surprise the gray/brown just wiped COMPLETELY CLEAN! Like, brand new clean! Just a white dispenser tray. Holy cow, vinegar?!? Apparently that's what they used to use in the old days on everything. I've been in the dark all this time.

Vinegar is a popular household cleanser, effective for killing most mold, bacteria, and germs, due to its level of acidity. Cleaning with white distilled vinegar is a smart way to avoid using harsh chemicals. You’ll also be glad to know that it is environmentally friendly and very economical.

So I became 'fixated', & started cleaning everything with vinegar! We still have hard water, & vinegar is amazing. Initially it stinks like vinegar, but the smell goes away after it dries. Also, vinegar deodorizes, & can be used instead of a fabric softener.

Need to clean your microwave? Yup, just mix 1/4 cup vinegar & 1/4 cup water heat in microwave, then wipe clean. How 'bout your garbage disposal? Does your tea kettle have lime spots? Just boil some vinegar and water in there. Or how 'bout that nasty bath tub film? You guessed it...VINEGAR! I've also discovered Borax, Baking soda, & lemon. I will probably give away all my other cleaning products very soon. I found a new way we can re-use our plastic water bottles too. I mix 1/4 cup Borax, 1/4 cup Baking Soda, 1 cup vinegar, & top it off with water (add vinegar very slowly to the baking soda, cause it foams up quite a bit). With every load of laundry I poor that in the pre-wash, fabric softener, & soap dispensers... then I squeeze a little bit of the laundry soap I'm still trying to use up. Because after it's gone, I will be making my own and putting it in all my empty vinegar bottles! I'm going to use one of the recipes on this site:
http://www.ecocycle.org/hazwaste/recipes.cfm
I know it's not pretty but my clothes and towels feel & smell amazing & no more stinky front loading washer!




And yet another miracle...

Use Borax, baking soda, & vinegar to clean your carpets.

I bought a carpet steamer before my oldest started crawling a few years ago. We have 2 large dogs, & I wanted my carpets to be clean for my baby. I shampooed with the name brand shampoo & they were sorta clean. Then I thought why not borax? So I read and found a recipe, (I hardly ever follow recipes & despise reading instructions) I modified it and holy cow. There was a huge brown stain that I'd scrubbed and scrubbed in our hallway to no avail. So I got a water bottle and sprayed it w/water, then sprinkled Borax & baking soda on it. Did the same on a few other spots. Went back with a sponge & wiped, not scrubbed, wiped that stain away!

I love it! It's so wasteful to buy cleaning products over and over again, all that plastic. Also, studies have shown that cleaning chemicals are very bad for your lungs. My Mom has COPD & never smoked a day in her life. After wasting so much time and money on all the fancy so-called miracle cleaners, & trying the natural/old-fashioned ones I'm sold. Next I will try olive-oil & lemon to replace pledge, also something called washing soda for numerous things. You can buy Vinegar & baking soda at Costco in bulk. I believe Borax too. Borax is found in the laundry isle, not sure if Costco sells it. It's so cheap!

Note: I will continue to use & buy Quick Shine on my wood floors. But intend to make my own dishwasher detergent, and everything else. I'm also wanting to experiment with making my own shampoo & conditioners. Never really loved anything except for Phyto products (kinda pricey), but I have a lot of hair and maybe I can just make my own :)

No comments:

Post a Comment